[R] highest eigenvalues of a matrix

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 22:56:05 CEST 2008

DeaR list,

I happily use eigen() to compute the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of
a fairly large matrix (200x200, say), but it seems over-killed as its
rank is limited to typically 2 or 3. I sort of remember being taught
that numerical techniques can find iteratively decreasing eigenvalues
and corresponding orthogonal eigenvectors, which would provide a nice
alternative (once I have the first 3, say, I stop the search).

Looking at the R source code for eigen and some posts on this list,
it seems that the function uses a LAPACK routine, but obviously all
the options are not available through the R wrapper. I'm not
experienced enough to try and make my own interface with Fortran
code, so here are two questions:

- is this option (choosing a desired number of eigenvectors) already
implemented in some function / package that I missed?

- is the "range of indices" option in DSYEVR.f < http://
www.netlib.org/lapack/double/dsyevr.f > what I think, the indices of
the desired eigenvalues ordered from the highest to lowest?

Many thanks in advance for any piece of advice,

Sincerely,

Baptiste

dummy example if needed:

test <- matrix(c(1, 2, 0, 4, 5, 6, 1.00001, 2, 0), ncol=3)
eigen(test)

Baptiste Auguié

Physics Department
University of Exeter