[R] ggplot facet spacing, wrapping

mfrumin michael at frumin.net
Tue Jun 17 12:54:35 CEST 2008

I'm running into some problems with the spacing of some faceted ggplot plots.
I have a number of time series faceted to be one above another, but the
scale labels of the y axes all clobber each other at the bottom/top of each.
for example, try:

qplot(x, y, data = data.frame(x = 1:10, y = 1:10, size = 1:10), facets =
size ~ ., size = size) + scale_x_continuous(breaks = 1:10) +
scale_y_continuous(limits = c(0,10))

and notice the 10's and the 0's on the respective Y axes are mushing each
other.  Is there a way to adjust the spacing of facets in a faceted plot?

Likewise, what about wrapping, so that if I had say 20 or 30 facets it would
make a grid of facets rather than 30 in a column (or in a row).

thanks,
mike