[R] R on an ASUS eee PC, continued - installing packages

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jun 16 14:28:41 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>
>> Millo Giovanni wrote:
>>>
>>> The only thing I wish I were able to do now is to have the graphics
>>> windows defaults changed to a size fitting the small 9'' screen, as now
>>> I have to reduce it and move it to the right by hand every time to
>>> reproduce the results of 'windows>tile" in Windows. If anybody can
>>> help...
>>>
>> That'll be something like X11.options(width=4,height=4,pointsize=8) in
>> your ~/.Rprofile
>
> You need grDevices::X11.options, and it is better to use a load hook like
>
> setHook(packageEvent("grDevices", "onLoad"),
>         function(...)
> grDevices::X11.options(width=4,height=4,pointsize=8)
> )

Thanks, Brian.

Obviously, I haven't used this for a while and overlooked the example in
the Examples section of ?Startup.

I do wonder if there are ways to make this less easily overlooked,
though. Pointers in any or all of ?x11, ?X11.options, and ?Devices could
help, but maybe we need it in an introductory document like R-intro,
along with the discussion of Rprofile files in "Customizing the
environment".

> There is another way to set the geometry, to set X11 resources as
> described in ?X11.  I have in my ~/.Xresources
>
> R_x11*geometry: 700x700-0+0
>
> (for a 22" 90dpi screen, not a 9" one)

That doesn't help with the pointsize, does it? (Quite crucial on low-res
screens, even at 1024x768, 12.3" I find that the default pointsize=12 is
a bit much.)

-p