[R] stretching text vertically

Alex Reynolds reynolda at u.washington.edu
Sat Jun 14 00:55:46 CEST 2008

I'd like to stretch a plotted character vertically, to create a
"sequence logo".

Is there a parameter to allow stretching text() output vertically or
squeeze horizontally?

I know about Oliver Bembom's seqLogo library, but this generates a
sequence logo plot using a separate bitmap device. I want to recreate
the sequence logo *inside* an existing plot.

Alternatively, is there a way to embed one plot inside another?

I could use imagemagick outside R to 'montage' separate bitmaps, but
then the sequence logo is going to be very difficult to align (base for
base) with the plot I'm trying to join it to.

Thanks for any tips,
Alex