[R] Problem with Freq function {prettyR}

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Jun 13 16:12:27 CEST 2008

Since this is a contributed package, you should be contacting the
maintainer (as mentioned in the posting guide).

Anyway, the problem occurs because in the second case you have a factor
in the first column and numeric in the second. This part of the code
will illustrate what I mean:

for (i in 1:nfreq) {
         if (display.na)
             nna <- sum(is.na(x[[i]]))
         else nna <- 0
         xt <- na.omit(x[[i]])
         if (is.null(levels))
             levels <- unique(xt)
         if (is.numeric(x[[i]]))
             xt <- factor(xt, levels = levels)

So the first time through this loop the levels variable is set to
c("m","f"). On the second time levels is no longer NULL, so when the xt
variable is created it is essentially this:

xt <- factor(xt, levels = c("m","f"))

and since xt contains only numbers you get

[1] <NA> <NA> <NA> <NA> <NA> <NA> <NA> <NA>
Levels: m f

Best,

Jim