[R] Generate Random Samples

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 01:31:15 CEST 2008

To answer your specific question, you can use mvrnorm (from MASS, i.e. library(MASS)) to generate each component.
To generate a mixture with three components (Prob(1 st component) = p1,
Prob(2nd component) = p2, Prob(3rd component) = p3, p1+p2+p3=1), you can generate a uniformly distributed variable X in (0,1) and then generate the 1st component if X < p1, the 2nd one if p1 <= X < p1+p2 and the 3rd one if X >=p1+p2.