[R] Close Window Button Problems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 14:18:07 CEST 2008

You have failed to provide the most basic of information as requested in
the posting guide.  As you mention 'i create a x11 window and plot' I will
assume you mean that you open an X11() device and hence this is some
Unix-alike OS.

This has come up several times before, so please search the archives. If
you 'popen' R, its input is not from a tty and so it is not considered to
be running interactively and hence is not expecting users to interact with
it (like shutting down windows).

R 2.7.0 allows a --interactive flag which may help.  Exactly what the
circumstances are in which the event loop is blocked seem to be
system-specific.  But normally if non-interactive R is reading from stdin
it is completely blocked until input is completed -- and that is not
usually the case if R is interactive.

Should this be Windows (which does have an x11() device), the relevant
flag is --ess.