[R] How to change the class of data?

Birgitle birgit.lemcke at systbot.uzh.ch
Thu Jun 12 10:57:29 CEST 2008

I have an additional question concerning to this topic.

I usually use something liek that:

read.table(****,  colClasses=c("numeric", "factor", "character",
"my.funny.class"))

but why can I not implement "ordered.factor" in there?

Birgit

Kenn Konstabel wrote:

> Conversion to factor may happen (and often does) when you read in data
> with
> read.table(). So one solution may be reading in the same data again in a
> slightly different way:
>
> read.table(file="mydatafile", as.is=TRUE)
> # see also ?read.table
>
> You can also specify a class to each column of the data you're about to
> read
> in:
> read.table(****,  colClasses=c("numeric", "factor", "character",
> "my.funny.class"))
>

> Ad take a look at   http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html    p.
> 7.10
> for the right answer -- in any case, don't use as.numeric(x)!
>
> Kenn
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Qman Fin <finosaur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some data x, which are actualy consisted of numerical enties. But
>> the
>> class of this matrix is set to be "factor" by someone else. I used
>> "class(x)", it turns out to be "factor". So I can not calculate them.
>>
>> How can I turn them into numerical data so that I can apply math
>> operations
>> on them? Thanks a lot for your help.
>>
>> Selina

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

-----
The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.
(Marcus Aurelius)