[R] Bayesian Analysis using the BUGS Language

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 11:50:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> DrakeGis wrote:
>> WinBugs doesn't run in LINUX. Neither OpenBugs.
>
> Ah, sorry, haven't read carefully enough.
> The only possible thing is to run WinBUGS under wine and use R2WinBUGS, which
> supports the wine/WinBUGS combination.

'Linux' is too vague.  AFAIK none of this runs on Linux on Sparc or PPC
for example.

Tobias Verbeke referred to a thread which is AFAICS about building an ix86
Linux bugs executable from the distributed brugs.so in OpenBUGS.  If you
can get that to run (and like Uwe, I get a trap), you can then communicate
with that bugs executable via files (in the same way that R2WinBUGS
communicates with WinBUGS).

It is not clear to me that the Windows classicbugs.exe or winbugs.exe in
OpenBUGS could not be run under Wine with communication via files, but
R2WinBUGS is not set up to do so.