[R] Comparing two groups of proportions

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jun 10 04:57:54 CEST 2008

here is one approach:

res <- cbind( c(10, 5, 1, 12, 3,  8, 7, 2, 10, 1),
 c(90,15,79,38,7,92,13,78,40,9) )

line <- gl(5,1,length=10, labels=LETTERS[1:5])

qa <- gl(2,5)

fit <- glm( res ~ line*qa, family=binomial )

summary(fit)

anova(fit, test='Chisq')

The interaction terms measure the difference between the different combinations of QA method and production line, if they are all 0, then that means the effect of QA is the same accross production lines and the qa main effect measures the difference between the 2 methods (allowing for differences in the prodoction lines), testing if that equals 0 should answer your question.

Hope this helps,