[R] lsmeans

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jun 8 21:26:12 CEST 2008

Dear Hadley,

Unfortunately, the term "marginal" gets used in two quite different ways,
and Searle's "population marginal means" would, I believe, be more clearly
called "population conditional means" or "population partial means." This is
more or less alternative terminology for "least-squares means" (to which
Searle rightly objects).

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor