[R] R + Linux

Hank Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Sun Jun 8 16:05:53 CEST 2008

I typically use a Mac (I love it) with Aquamacs, LaTeX, and R, and
recently started using Linux Ubuntu as well. Ubuntu is the only
distribution I have ever tried, and I really like it. I like it so
much that I would have made my switch complete, but cannot find
replacement for the PDF cut and paste functionality of the Mac.

Ubuntu has amazing built in upgrade GUI's and other bells and whistles
that a Mac user like me has come to depend on.

Hank

On Jun 6, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:13 PM, steven wilson <swpt07 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Dear all;
>
>> I'm planning to install Linux on my computer to run R (I'm bored of
>> W..XP). However, I haven't used Linux before and I would appreciate,
>> if possible, suggestions/comments about what could be the best option
>> install, say Fedora, Ubuntu or OpenSuse which to my impression are
>> the
>> most popular ones (at least on the R-help lists). The computer is a
>> PC
>> desktop with 4GB RAM and  Intel Quad-Core Xeon processor and will be
>> used only to run R.
>
> Ah yes, we haven't had a good flame war for a long time.  Let's start
> discussing the relative merits of various Linux distributions.  That
> should heat things up a bit.
>
> I can only speak about Ubuntu.  I have used it exclusively for several
> years now and find it to be superb.  In my opinion it is easy to
> install and maintain and has very good support for R (take a bow,
> Dirk).

Dr. Hank Stevens, Associate Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)