[R] strange (to me) p-value distribution

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sun Jun 8 00:40:22 CEST 2008

Dear Mark,

try out the example code below. Such a p-value distribution often occurs
  if you have "batch" effects, i.e. if the between-group variability is
in fact less than the within-group variability.

In the example below, I do, for each row of x, a t-test between the
values in the even and odd columns; for rt2, a "batch effect" has been
added to columns 1:10.

  hope this helps
	Wolfgang

library("genefilter")

nr = 31000
nc = 20

x  = matrix(rnorm(nr*nc), nrow=nr, ncol=nc)

rt1 = rowttests(x, factor(1:nc %% 2))

## add a batch effect
x[, 1:10] = x[, 1:10] + pi/2
rt2 = rowttests(x, factor(1:nc %% 2))

par(mfrow=c(2,1))
hist(rt1$p.value, breaks=100, col="mistyrose")
hist(rt2$p.value, breaks=100, col="mistyrose")

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber