[R] Multiple comment.char under read.table

Daniel Folkinshteyn dfolkins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:51:54 CEST 2008

according to the helpfile, comment only takes one character, so you'll
have to do some 'magic' :)

i'd suggest to first run mydata through sed, and replace one of the
comment chars with another, then run read.table with the one comment
char that remains.

sed -e 's/^\^/!/' mydata.txt > mydata2.txt

alternatively, you could do read.table twice, once with ! and once with
^, and then pull out all the common rows from the two results.