[R] GAM hurdle models

John Poulsen jpoulsen at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Jun 5 15:11:29 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have been using mgcv to run GAM hurdle models, analyzing
presence/absence data with GAM logistic regressions, and then analyzing
the data conditional on presence (e.g. without samples with no zeros)
with GAMs with a negative binomial distribution.

It occurs to me that using the negative binomial distribution on data
with no zeros is not right, as the negative binomial allows zeros.

Does anyone know of a package that does negative binomial GAM hurdle
models?  Or is there another quick fix to overcome this problem (e.g.
using quasipoisson)?

Thanks for your suggestions,
John