[R] Sampling two exponentials

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 03:52:04 CEST 2008

I am not sure that this is well defined.

For a multivariate normal distribution (which is well defined), the covariance matrix (and the means vector) fully determine the distribution. In the exponential case, what is multivariate (bivariate) exponential distribution?  I believe that knowing that the two marginal distributions are exponential and knowing the covariance matrix does not uniquely determine the joint distribution.

On the other hand, if you want just any such pair, this is not difficult (at least if we want the correlation to be non-negative).
Let X and Z be independent exponential variables with lambda = 1 and let W be independent of X and Z with P(W=1) = p = 1 - P(W=0). Now let Y = X if W = 1 and Y = Z if W = 0. It is easy to see that Y is also exponential with lambda = 1 and the correlation coefficient between X and Y is p. Now multiply X and Y by appropriate constants to get the desired covariance matrix (correlation coefficient won't be affected).