[R] Link functions in SEM

Stas Kolenikov skolenik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:33:27 CEST 2008

sem is package for pretty traditional covariance matrix analysis. To
deal with other members of exponential family than normal, you can
also look at GLLAMM package (http://www.gllamm.org) that works from
Stata. Or Mplus. Or you might have some luck building up a mixed model
for your purpose, see ?nlme. Even if you get your latent variables
from sem, they will be subject to sampling and measurement error, and
that would be devastating for logistic regression: on top of the usual
attenuation bias typical for measurement error models, you have a
wrong scale for your coefficients. Economists have good explanation
for those effects in terms of the scaling of the coefficients and
errors in nonlinear models; statisticians usually don't care so much
about those.