[R] Saving a workspace with "extras"?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 16:27:41 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I hope there's a simple way to achieve what I want, but I haven't
found the way.

I do microarray analysis using R and a number of packages as well as
some functions created my myself.
When I save the workspace, it saves all the data structures, that's
great... But when I click (I'm on Windows XP, if it matters) on teh
resulting .RData file, I have to reload the functions I made, as well
as the relevant packages. It is not really a big deal, but sometimes I
want to give a colleague something I'm working on, and it would be a
lot easier to just give the .RData file, without adding the extras.
Especially when it comes to my own functions. I was hoping they'd be
saved, because I see them listed after 'ls()' but they're not.

I'm starting to suspect that this is another reason why people build
packages... but it seems a bit involved, especially in Windows. I was
shown how to do it in Linux and it wasn't painful, but in Windows...
ouch. Tried and failed repeatedly. Gave up.

Any comments appreciated!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.