[R] Coconut benchmark for R?

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 24 20:41:30 CEST 2008

I wonder what such a benchmark test would be good for.

Relevant and speaking tests in Global Optimization are formulated as models
in AMPL, GAMS, GMPK, MPS, etc. Rewriting a model in matrix form can be a
tedious manual task and I have not yet seen it.

Very few optimization packages in R accept such higher models as input, as
for instance linprog, lpSolve, Rglpk, or Rsymphony.

And those that do are in reality free implementations that have been
integrated into R. Benchmarking these functions will not show significant
differences to benchmarks done with their original versions.

Did I misunderstand your intentions?

Hans Werner Borchers
ABB Corporate Research