[R] Dividing by 0

nmarti nate318i at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 15:57:20 CEST 2008

I'm trying to calculate the percent change for a time-series variable.
Basically the first several observations often look like this,

x <- c(100, 0, 0, 150, 130, 0, 0, 200, 0)

and then later in the life of the variable they're are generally no more
0's.  So when I try to calculate the percent change from one observation to
the next, I end up with a lot of NA/Nan/INF, and sometimes 0's which is what
I want, in the beginning.

I know I can use x <- na.omit(x), and other forms of this, to get rid of
some of these errors.  But I would rather use some kind of function that
would by defult give a 0 while dividing by zero so that I don't lose the
observation, which is what happens when I use na.omit.

I would imagine this is a common problem.  I tried finding something in zoo,
but I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated.