[R] Multinomial logistic regression with non-numerical data.

TL Vincent tv3190 at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 15:36:20 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have a set of data which looks similar to this (only way bigger!)

link    type    register

F         D         a
E         D         b
R         D         c
A         T         d
D         T         a
F         D         b
.         .         .
.         .         .

and would like to perform a multinomial logistic regression on this data.
I use the nnet package and obtain the raw regression coefficients from the
output when I enter:

fit<-multinom(link~type+register,data)
summary(fit, Wald =T);

However, I am struggling to compute the regression results in terms of
probabilities, my main barrier being the fact that my data is non-numerical.
For example, I would like to fix a value "d" to register, and calculate the
probability of choosing each link for both type "D" or "T" .
I hope this was clear enough!
I appreciate your help!

Tom V.

TL Vincent
tv3190 at bristol.ac.uk
BCCS - Bristol Centre for Complexity Sciences