[R] Using PrettyR to produce LaTeX output

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Jul 24 12:53:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 12:46 -0700, jcarmichael wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I am new to R, so please bear with me.  I am trying to find
> an easy way to export descriptive statistics and other information about my
> data frame to a LaTeX format.
>
> I have found the describe function in PrettyR to be very helpful in
> producing results in the exact format I'm looking for.  However, the value
> of the describe function is a LIST (rather than a data frame) which I am
> then unable to convert to LaTeX using the xtable package or the latex
> function of Hmisc.  When I try to convert the list to a data frame, I get an
> error that says "arguments imply differing number of rows."
>
> If that didn't make any sense...ultimately, here is what I'm trying (and
> failing) to produce as a LaTeX document...
>
>                                  MALES                       FEMALES
>                         Q10     Med    Q90            Q10    Med   Q90
> AGE                   xx        xx       xx              xx       xx      xx
> BMI                   xx        xx        xx             xx        xx
> xx
> etc.                   xx        xx        xx             xx        xx
> xx

Hi J,
You can reduce the list produced by "describe" to a variety of text
formats using the "delim.table" function. However, you seem to want
something like a hierarchical table format. If I had to do this, I would
probably write a function something like "delim.table" to massage the
data into a format that can be read by the "latex" function.

Jim