[R] Functions similar to step() and all.effects() that work for lme() objects?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 10:42:28 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Christoph Scherber wrote:

> Dear Jon,
>
> The function stepAIC() in Venable´s & Ripley´s MASS library does the job.

Actually, it is extractAIC method in the MASS package that does the job
for stepAIC() or step(), so if you attach MASS then step() should work.

As for 'all.effects': that is not part of R: looks like no one mentioned
the 'effects' package where a function of that name resides.  You can
discuss this with the maintainer (John Fox), but it does not look trivial
to modify it to work with lme fits.