[R] adding the mean and standard deviation to boxplots

HBaize HBaize at buttecounty.net
Wed Jul 23 23:52:17 CEST 2008

Fernando,
I don't have time to do all that you asked, but here is some code that makes
violin plots with mean, median, and 95% CI. I like this plot very much, even
if boxplot purists think it is horrible :-)

I think the boxplot was developed before we had computing power. Now we can
show the detail of the distribution easily. This code uses the library
"UsingR" written by John Verzani.

Real R wizards will find my code to be crude. It could be done with more
elegance, but it works :-)
Note that I varied the sample size to show difference in 95% CI.

HTH

-------------------------------

## Create three random data vectors
a <- rnorm(25,2500,300)
b <- rnorm(50,3500,250)
c <- rnorm(100,4000,200)

## Convert data vectors to dataframes
adf <- data.frame(Group = " A ", Measure = a)
bdf <- data.frame(Group = " B ", Measure = b)
cdf <- data.frame(Group = " C ", Measure = c)

## Combine into a dataframe using rbind
abcData <- rbind(adf, bdf, cdf)
attach(abcData)

## load the UsingR library for violin plots

library(UsingR)

## Run boxplot to find statistics, but don't draw the boxplots
S <- boxplot(Measure ~ Group, plot=FALSE)

## Draw violin plots
simple.violinplot(Measure ~ Group,
                col = "lightblue")

## Add title
title(main="Just Random Test Data",
      sub="A, B, & C",
      cex.main = 1.5,
      cex.sub = 1.3)

## Define locations for additional chart elements
at <- c(1:length(S$names))

## Draw thick green lines for median values

points(at,S$stats[3, ], pch = 22, cex = 1.2, bg = "darkgreen")

## Get Group means and plot them using a diamond plot symbol
##    IMPORTANT -- must add the missing values removal: na.rm=TRUE
##                         if there is any missing data.

means <- by(Measure, Group, mean, na.rm=TRUE)
points(at,means, pch = 23, cex = 1.2, bg = "red")

##-  Get CIs -##
## create standard error function--
se <- function(x) {
         y <- x[!is.na(x)]
         sqrt(var(as.vector(y))/length(y))
    }

## create length function for non-missing values
lngth <- function(x){
            y <- x[!is.na(x)]
            length(y)
    }

## Compute vectors of standard error and n
Hse <- by(Measure,Group,se)
Hn  <- by(Measure,Group,lngth)

## compute 95% CIs and store in vectors
civ.u <- means + qt(.975, df=Hn-1) * Hse # Upper bound CI
civ.l <- means + qt(.025, df=Hn-1) * Hse # Lower bound CI

## Draw CI, first vertical line, then upper and lower horizontal
segments(at, civ.u, at, civ.l, lty = "solid", lwd = 2, col = "red")
segments(at - 0.1, civ.u, at + 0.1, civ.u, lty = "solid", lwd =2,col =
"red")
segments(at - 0.1, civ.l, at + 0.1, civ.l, lty = "solid", lwd =2,col =
"red")

## Draw Mean values to the left edge of each violinplot
text(at - 0.1, means, labels = formatC(means, format = "f", digits = 1),
    pos = 2, cex = 1, col = "red")

## Draw Median values to the right edge of each violinplot
text(at + 0.1, S$stats[3, ], labels = formatC(S$stats[3, ],
     format = "f", digits = 1), pos = 4, cex = 1, col = "darkgreen")

## Print "n" under the name of measure
mtext(S$n, side = 1, at = at, cex=.75, line = 2.5)

## End