[R] Using if, else statements

Gabriela Cendoya gcendoya at balcarce.inta.gov.ar
Wed Jul 23 21:14:50 CEST 2008

Hi Robin:
                I think you can avoid the loops doing this:

my.df<-data.frame(d.o.w=sample(c("mon","sat","sun"), 20, replace=T),
       admissions=rnorm(20))
weight <- c(1,1,1,1,1,1.21,1.22)
names(weight) <- c("mon","tue","wed","thu","fri","sat","sun")
my.df$NewAdm <- my.df$admissions * weight[as.character(my.df$d.o.w)]

my.df

Gabriela