[R] saving plot both as jpg and pdf

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jul 22 17:15:51 CEST 2008

Plotting functions only send the plot to the current device (in your case the 2nd one opened).  You can see all the currently open devices with dev.list, you can see which is current with dev.cur, you can change which is current using dev.set (and possibly dev.next and dev.prev).  Look at the help on these functions.

To get copies of the same graph in both devices you need to either:

1. plot the graph in the current device
2. switch devices
3. issue the same plot command in the now current device

Or:

1. plot the graph in the current device
2. use dev.copy (or related functions) to copy the current graph to another device

Note that the 2nd only works when recording is turned on (which is not the default for jpeg or pdf).
Also, the 2 methods may result in small differences between the graphs based on which sets of defaults are used.

Another option is to use the dev.copy2pdf function to create the pdf file without opening a pdf device yourself.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center