[R] Large number of dummy variables

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 22 16:07:14 CEST 2008

    HaroldD> Well, yes and no. In R there really isn't a need to create the model matrix because this is done in R from the factors. But, to implement this computational trick Alan is asking about, it requires that he first create the full, dense model matrix and the do the time-demeaning on that matrix.

    HaroldD> If lm() could go straight from a factor to a sparse
    HaroldD> model matrix, time-demeaning would not be necessary.

Well,  lm() is in "stats" would only work with dense matrices
anyway.
But you are right in what you *meant*:
We'd need versions of  model.frame() and model.matrix()  which
from a formula produce a sparse model matrix (aka "X matrix") or
its transpose.
Doug Bates showed you how to do the latter manually,
equivalently to  model.matrix(~ 0 + f1 + f2) when f1 and f2 are
factors.

I'm sure that longer-term we'd want versions of model.matrix()
/ model.frame() that work with sparse matrices.

    HaroldD> Doing work as Doug suggests in the other
    HaroldD> post is what would be best for now, me thinks.

Yes.
BTW, you mentioned  SparseM's  "OLS with sparse matrices".
The problem there is the same as with 'Matrix': You must somehow
get your sparse X matrix and the best currrent tools to that, AFAIK,
are the ones in 'Matrix' Doug Bates mentioned (and wrote!).

Martin Maechler

    HaroldD> -----Original Message-----
    HaroldD> From: Bert Gunter [mailto:gunter.berton at gene.com]
    HaroldD> Sent: Mon 7/21/2008 6:45 PM
    HaroldD> To: Doran, Harold; aspearot at ucsc.edu; r-help at r-project.org
    HaroldD> Subject: RE: [R] Large number of dummy variables

    HaroldD> Unless I'm way off base, dummy variable are never needed (nor are desirable)
    HaroldD> in R; they should be modelled as factors instead. AN INTRO TO R might, and
    HaroldD> certainly V&R's MASS and others will, explain this in more detail.

    HaroldD> -- Bert Gunter
    HaroldD> Genentech, Inc.

    HaroldD> -----Original Message-----
    HaroldD> From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On
    HaroldD> Behalf Of Doran, Harold
    HaroldD> Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:16 PM
    HaroldD> To: aspearot at ucsc.edu; r-help at r-project.org
    HaroldD> Cc: Douglas Bates
    HaroldD> Subject: Re: [R] Large number of dummy variables

    HaroldD> Well, at the risk of entering a debate I really don't have time for (I'm
    HaroldD> doing it anyway) why not consider a random coefficient model? If your
    HaroldD> response has anything like, "well, random effects and fixed effects are
    HaroldD> correlated and so the estimates are biased but OLS is consistent and
    HaroldD> unbiased via an appeal to Gauss-Markov" then I will probably make time
    HaroldD> for this discussion :)

    HaroldD> I have experienced this problem, though. In what you're doing, you are
    HaroldD> first creating the model matrix and then doing the demeaning, correct? I
    HaroldD> do recall Doug Bates was, at one point, doing some work where the model
    HaroldD> matrix for the fixed effects was immediately created as a sparse matrix
    HaroldD> for OLS models. I think doing the work on the sparse matrix is a better
    HaroldD> analytical method than time-demeaning. I don't remember where that work
    HaroldD> is, though.

    HaroldD> There is a package called sparseM which had functions for doing OLS with
    HaroldD> sparse matrices. I don't know its status, but vaguely recall the author
    HaroldD> of sparseM at one point noting that the work of Bates and Maechler would
    HaroldD> be the go to package for work with large, sparse model matrices.