[R] Creation of png=problems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 09:05:11 CEST 2008

1) As the posting guide asked, update your R.  R 2.7.x has a new png()
device that many people prefer.

2) As the INSTALL file points out, this is an installation issue discussed
in the R-admin manual.  JPEG and PNG support is optional (even on Windows,
but someone compiled it in for you if you are using a binary).

R does run on Solaris 8 and does support jpeg() and png() there *if you
follow the R-admin manual* and install the additional software needed.
(For how much longer we will be able to test under Solaris 8, I don't
know -- the system I use will be decommissioned this summer.)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Romain wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am currently working with R and I would like to create jpeg graphs with it.

Hmm, it is jpeg() creates jpeg graphs, not png().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk