[R] Creation of png=problems

Romain b.romain36 at voila.fr
Mon Jul 21 17:12:50 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,

I am currently working with R and I would like to create jpeg graphs with it.
I am working on Windows and Unix but I would like to be able to create graphs (jpeg, png, bitmap...) under Unix.

I am working on Solaris version 8. The documentation for R states that the latest version of or R known to compile on Solaris 8 is version 2.6.2. I have been able to compile and install R version 2.6.2. under Unix. I also installed Hmisc package needed by my script.

The problem is that when I launch my script to create graphs from text files I get this error :

> Create_Graph("File")
Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize,  :
  unable to start device PNG
In addition: Warning message:
In png(paste(PATH, "/", filename, sep = ""), 800, 600) :
  no png support in this version of R

The thing is that I have tried to run my script under Windows with the same version (2.6.2) and everything is going well and the graph are created.

Is it because (under Unix):
> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
   FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

If so, could someone explain to me how to change these capabilities in order to ba able to set them TRUE.

I have also tried with other version of R but the error is the same one.

If you have any other ideas about why it doesn't work I would be very grateful.

The fact is that I have created a programm under Unix to make automatic the creation of the text files and I would like to create automatically the correspondant graphs.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Thanks for your time.

Have a good day.

R.