[R] Error in edit(name,file,title,editor)

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Jul 20 13:19:07 CEST 2008

Can anyone help me with the following attempt to use an external
editor from within R

 > vi(file="p286.R")
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) : unable to open file to read
 > edit(file="p286.R")
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) : unable to open file to read

I have only recently re-started trying to learn R. (I tried before
but failed.)
I am working with a Mac MacOsX 10.4.11. I have R 2.7.1 GUI 1.25
(5166) which is the Cocoa version of R.
I have been reading Peter Dalgaard's book, which is very helpful, and
I have not met any errors so far, so I don't understand why I should
suddenly hit this one.

Since "edit" and "vi" appear to be in the utils package, I did
 > library(utils)
to which I got a null response.

I have searched the R-help-archives for the error message, and have
not found it.

I suppose I could use the function source(), but I haven't tried this.

Thanks for any help

David Epstein