[R] Non-linearly constrained optimisation

tolga.i.uzuner at jpmorgan.com tolga.i.uzuner at jpmorgan.com
Sun Jul 20 00:10:35 CEST 2008

Dear R Users,
I am looking for some guidance on setting up an optimisation in R with
non-linear constraints.

Here is my simple problem:
- I have a function h(inputs) whose value I would like to maximise
- the 'inputs' are subject to lower and upper bounds
- however, I have some further constraints: I would like to constrain the
values for two other separate function f(inputs) and g(inputs) to be within
certain bounds

This means the 'inputs' must not only lie within the bounds specified by
the 'upper' and 'lower' bounds, but they must also not take on values such
that f(inputs) and g(inputs) take on values outside defined values. h, f
and g are all non-linear.

I believe constroptim would work if f and g were linear. Alas, they are
not. Is there any other way I can achieve this in R ?

Thanks in advance,
Tolga

Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.
disclosures relating to UK legal entities.