[R] wroung groupedData despite reading Bates and Pinheiro 3 times

hpdutra hpdutra at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 22:02:49 CEST 2008

Hi everyone.  I am trying to add a formula to my data  using the groupedData
function.
My experiment consists of randomized block design using fruits, vegetation
and time as factors. The idea is to see if fruits, vegetation and time
explain the abundance of mice. I am using tree density as a covariate.
So I tried to fit the following structure to my data.
> traps<-groupedData(mice~tree|plotID,outer=~time*fruit*veget|block,data=trap)

but time and block are still  considered to be numeric, while in fact they
should be factor and ordered, respectively.
> sapply(traps,data.class)
     mice    plotID     veget     fruit      time     block      tree
"numeric" "ordered"  "factor"  "factor" "numeric" "numeric" "numeric"

Is there a way to change that?

Thank you very much.

PS: the levels for fruit and veget are intact or removed