[R] size and coding error in plot ?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 04:59:26 CEST 2008

on 07/17/2008 08:44 PM shetumi at aim.com wrote:
> Hello R users:
>
> I was trying to draw a boxplot?using 2 variables (rain and wind).
> Both of them has length 25056. So dummy is a matrix with dimension 2
> x 25056. First I tried to draw a full boxplot using the following
> code?and gave an error
>
>> boxplot(dummy$Rain~dummy$Wind)
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2.8 Gb In addition: Warning
> messages: 1: In rep.int(boxwex, n) : ? Reached total allocation of
> 1535Mb: see help(memory.size) 2: In rep.int(boxwex, n) : ? Reached
> total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size) 3: In
> rep.int(boxwex, n) : ? Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see
> help(memory.size) 4: In rep.int(boxwex, n) : ? Reached total
> allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
>
> and?thereafter I tried to draw boxplots at regular intervals (that
> means ) and that didnt work either
>
>> boxplot(dummy$Rain~cut(dummy$Wind,(1:25)*1000), data=dummy)
>
> Error in plot.window(xlim = xlim, ylim = ylim, log = log, yaxs =
> pars$yaxs) : ? need finite 'ylim' values In addition: Warning
> messages: 1: In is.na(x) : is.na() applied to non-(list or vector) of
> type 'NULL' 2: In is.na(x) : is.na() applied to non-(list or vector)
> of type 'NULL' 3: In is.na(x) : is.na() applied to non-(list or
> vector) of type 'NULL' 4: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to
> min; returning Inf 5: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max;
> returning -Inf
>
> Also I used
>
> ?boxplot(dummy$Rain~cut(dummy$Wind,
> breaks=seq(from=1,to=25000,by=1000)), data=dummy)
>
> and that showing only sigle boxplot at far left corner.
>

> What would be the right ting to do ?

If you are simply looking to create 2 side by side boxplots, one for
each variable, Rain and Wind, and your data is in a data frame called
'dummy', then you want to use:

   boxplot(dummy)

The use of '$' in your code above indicates that 'dummy' is a data
frame, not a matrix.

Right now, you are trying to draw a potentially large number of
boxplots, one for each unique value of Wind, which is why the process is
running out of memory.

If that is not what you are trying to do, then you'll need to provide
more information.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz