[R] gstat problem with lidar data

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 21:44:44 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Alessandro wrote:
> Hey,
>

> I am a PhD student in forestry science, and I am a brand new in R. I am
> working with lidar data (cloud points with X, Y and Z value). I wish to
> create a spatial map with kriging form points cloud. My problem is the Big
> data-set (over 5,000,000.00 points) and I always went out of memory.
>

> Is there a script to create un subset or modify the radius of variogram?

Do you have any reason to prefer kriging over some other, less intensive
method such as RST (regularized splines with tension)?

Check out GRASS or GMT for ideas on how to grid such a massive point set.
Specifically the r.in.xyz and v.surf.rst modules from GRASS.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory