[R] Font quality in base graphics

willemf jwhferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jul 15 21:34:20 CEST 2008

Thank you Jeff, I will follow up on this. I just cannot believe that R does
not have a good command of this. The obvious route is Postscript ourput,
since it is not raster-based and one can incorporate EPS files into
OpenOffice documents. However, when printing to a Postscript device, there
is no control over the size of the text with respect to the graphics (at
least I have not managed to obtain that level of control, even when
restricting graphic size by specifying fin = c(3,3). The fundamental
challenge for R is to generate identical copies of
onscreen/pdf/PNG/postscript output. As far as I deduce this is not possible
at present. Thanks for your comments. Regards, wf