[R] question about a small "for" loop

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Tue Jul 15 00:16:56 CEST 2008

R 2.5.1 on WinXP

I'm trying to create new variables in a dataframe called jaw, as powers
of jaw$age up to the sixth power, and name them

jaw$age.(--the digit corresponding to the power--)

Obviously none of these work (silly for me to try, I suppose):

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age.'i' <- jaw$age^i

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age.i <- jaw$age^i

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age."i" <- jaw$age^i

What is the proper syntax to create and name these variables all at once?

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
PGP public keys available at http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]