[R] question about a small "for" loop

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Tue Jul 15 00:16:56 CEST 2008

R 2.5.1 on WinXP

I'm trying to create new variables in a dataframe called jaw, as powers
of jaw$age up to the sixth power, and name them

jaw$age.(--the digit corresponding to the power--)

Obviously none of these work (silly for me to try, I suppose):

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age.'i' <- jaw$age^i
  }

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age.i <- jaw$age^i
  }

for (i in 2:6) {
  jaw$age."i" <- jaw$age^i
  }

What is the proper syntax to create and name these variables all at once?

Thanks.

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]