[R] any way to set defaults for par?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Mon Jul 14 00:31:14 CEST 2008

I know how to set graphic parameters by calling par(), but what I'd like
is a way to set the default values so that subsequent calls to par() use
my defaults.  The reason to want this is that every time I create a new
graphic window (I'm using quartz on OSX, and so far no answers in the
Mac mailing list), my parameters get reset to the builtin defaults.
I read about the "unexported variable .Pars," but would like to know if
there's any way to manipulate that variable.

thanks
Carl