[R] odfWeave problem in 7.1?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 12 19:39:15 CEST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Dieter Menne wrote:
> Jim Porzak <jporzak <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I just noticed that CRAN Package check Error for Windows & Mac:
>>
> http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-patched-windows-x86_64/odfWeave-00check.html
>>

>>> I've run into a problem with odfWeave 0.7.5 running under R 2.7.1
>>> (Windows XP, SP2) doing some monthly production reports.
>>>
>>> Under 2.7.1 I'm getting various parsing errors after Sweaving starts, e.g.:
>>>

> You might try to download an older version of XML to handle that; we had a
> similar problem with special characters, i.e. umlauts:
>
>>> odfWeave and umlauts work with XML 1.9.0, but not with XML 1.95.2
>
> Max Kuhn,  Duncan Murdoch and Nathan Coulter are aware of the problem.

There is a Windows version of XML_1.93-2.3.zip available on my repository
to help people work around this long-standing (and oft reported) bug in
odfWeave.  You can access it directly by

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/XML_1.93-2.3.zip

Recent versions of odfWeave/XML only work correctly in UTF-8 locales and
hence not on Windows.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk