[R] Question regarding lu in package Matrix

Ulrike Grömping groemp at tfh-berlin.de
Wed Jul 9 19:01:29 CEST 2008

Dear R-helpers,

I have a question regarding LU-decomposition with function lu in package
Matrix. The following simple example confuses me: Why is as.matrix(elu$U)
not an upper triangular matrix?

u3 <-
matrix(c(1,1,1,1,1,1,-1,1,0,0,0,0,0,-1,1,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,-1,1,0,0),5,6,byrow=T)
elu <- expand(lu(Matrix(u3,sparse=F)))
as.matrix(elu$U)

I only have very limited experience with the package and its different types
of matrices, and I am lost where to start looking for a reason.

Regards,
Ulrike Grömping