[R] RJDBC and OracleDriver: unable to connect

Rodrigo Santamaria rodri at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 12:59:51 CEST 2008

Hi there,
I'm trying to connect in an Oracle database. I am able to do it with
Java, but when trying this code in R:

library(DBI)
library(RJDBC)
drv = JDBC("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver",
            "C:\\Documents and
Settings\\rodri\\workspace\\AtlasQueryingTest\\lib\\ojdbc14.jar",
            identifier.quote="`")
con=dbConnect(drv,url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@apu.ebi.ac.uk:1521:AEDWT",uid="rodri",
pwd="rodri")

The JDBC() call seems to work fine but dbConnect() returns:

Error in .verify.JDBC.result(jc, "Unable to connect JDBC to ", url) :
  Unable to connect JDBC to jdbc:oracle:thin:@apu.ebi.ac.uk:1521:AEDWT
(invalid arguments in call)

I guess it should be a problem with the driver, because the other
parameters are simple and work ok in Java-equivalent code

I've tried to find info in the forums, and i've found the same question
but with no response
My environment is

-R 2.7.0
With
-RJDBC
-DBI
-rJava

-Java 1.6.0_03
-ojdbc14.jar with OracleDriver (working fine in java code)
-Windows XP

Thanks in advance!