[R] Histogram with colors according to factor

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:55:45 CEST 2008

> Given a data frame with a continuous variable and a factor. I would like to
> generate a histogram of the continuous variable, where each bar is filled
> with different colors according to the percentage of factor values falling
> into this region of the continuous variable.

How exactly do you want the bar coloured?  I can see that this might
possibly work if the factor has only two levels, but how is a colour
supposed to encode the a categorical distribution?

Or do you mean:

dataset <- data.frame(x = c(rnorm(100), runif(100), rchisq(100, 1)), y =
gl(3, 100, labels = LETTERS[1:3]))
ggplot(dataset, aes(x = x, fill = y)) + geom_histogram(position = "fill")

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/