[R] Histogram with colors according to factor

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:23:27 CEST 2008

No; thanks for your try, but this is not what I want.

Here each bar has one single color. I would like to render each bar with
several colors according to the distribution of a factor.

I now learned that this is called "stacked histogram" (damned Excel).  In
the following entry

    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-April/129645.html

Deepayan Sarkar has provided a solution though he doubts its value. Still, I
find "stacked histograms" a vuable tool during exploratory data analysis.

Hans Werner

Is this what you want?

dataset <- data.frame(x = c(rnorm(100), runif(100), rchisq(100, 1)), y =
gl(3, 100, labels = LETTERS[1:3]))
ggplot(dataset, aes(x = x, fill = y)) + geom_histogram()
ggplot(dataset, aes(x = x, fill = y)) + geom_histogram(position =
"dodge")

HTH,

Thierry

-----