[R] Sum(Random Numbers)=100

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 09:15:04 CEST 2008

For arbitrary lambda_i it can take years until the sum of 50 such random variables is 100!
But if one makes lambda_i = 2, then the probability that the sum of 50 of them equals 100 is about 1/sqrt(2*pi*100), so on average that sequence of 50 numbers must be generated about sqrt(2*pi*100)) ~ 25 times, which is very reasonable.