[R] GLM, LMER, GEE interpretation

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Tue Jul 8 01:45:41 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I have looked at graphical summaries, but I would appreciate your
opinion. I have uploaded three graphs that show the dependent variable
versus capacity ( http://danielsresearch.blogspot.com/ ). The first shows it
for the entire sample by group (groups are indicated by colors; values have
been jittered so as to make it visible better). The second and third show
the probability for each individual in a group. I selected another situation
than the one I outlined before. But the problem is essentially the same. The
difference is that in this example I only have two groups, not three.

Yes, I was fitting a quasibinomial gee. To check consistency, I let the gee
compute the scale parameter and, alternatively, passed the scale parameter
from the GLM (without random effects). Since the scale parameters are very
similar, the results are basically identical between the two gees, which
indicates that the "automatic" gee in fact uses the scale parameter it
computes (and does not only display it to indicate that there is a problem).

I had also checked for a binomial lmer - which was the reason for checking a
quasibinomial. If I am using a binomial lmer instead of a quasibinomial, I
get (for the current two-group example):

                       Estimate Std. Error z value Pr(>|z|)
(Intercept)            -1.43810    0.23280   -6.18 6.52e-10 ***
I(capacity - 2)         1.17367    0.02345   50.05  < 2e-16 ***
group2                  0.87093    0.32981    2.64  0.00827 **
I(capacity - 2):group2 -0.21686    0.03263   -6.65 3.00e-11 ***

AIC 6489, Estimated scale 4.78

whereas with the quasibinomial I get:

                       Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)             -1.4381     1.1117  -1.294
I(capacity - 2)          1.1737     0.1120  10.482
group2                   0.8709     1.5749   0.553
I(capacity - 2):group2  -0.2169     0.1558  -1.392

AIC 6468

The estimates are basically identical, but the standard errors are very
different.

5. I indeed meant qualitatively similar results. Apologies for the sloppy
wording. However, I also tried the reverse (i.e. 5-capacity), as you
suggested, and find no significant group effects. This is not surprising as
the groups tend to converge as capacity increases.

6. I thought that if I leave out the capacity variable and just model
group+group:capacity I get the intercept for each group (whether they are
different), and the capacity*group interaction would describe whether the
"slope" of each group (if I may say so for binomial model) is different on
average. So I would not describe a general capacity effect for which the
group*capycity interactions would then describe a departure from the general
capacity effect. Instead I would model the capacity "slope" directly for
each group by just including the group*capacity interaction without the
general capacity effect..

Thanks much for your efforts,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus