[R] Drawing a colour wheel - bug in hcl?

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Jul 7 23:37:40 CEST 2008

Hadley:

> I'm trying trying to draw a colour wheel (a slice of hcl space) in R.
> Running the code below doesn't give me what I expect - there's some
> oddly bright colours of the wrong hue around c(0, 0) and I see three
> coloured circles (a small magenta, a medium sized yellow and a large
> cyan).  Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the hcl code?

All of these have been fixed and do not correspond to HCL colors.

> hcl <- expand.grid(h = seq(0, 360, by = 2), c = 70, l = seq(0, 100, by
> = 2), fixup=FALSE)
> hcl <- transform(hcl,
>  angle = h * pi / 180,
>  radius = l / 100
> )
> hcl <- transform(hcl,
>  x = radius * sin(angle),
>  y = radius * cos(angle)
> )
> hcl$colour <- hcl(hcl$h, hcl$c, hcl$l)

If you replace this by
   hcl$colour <- hcl(hcl$h, hcl$c, hcl$l, fixup = FALSE)

> with(hcl, plot(x, y, col=colour, pch=20))

Then, the resulting "wheel" has three overlapping "holes" corresponding to
the colors previously fixed.

Also, as hue/chroma correspond to polar coordinates in the UV plane of
CIELUV, it makes more sense to plot wheels in the hue/chroma plane for
fixed luminance. To draw a hue/luminance plane for fixed chroma is harder
to interpret geometrically.

hth,