[R] Method for checking automatically which distribtions fits a data

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Jul 7 15:49:14 CEST 2008

Stephen Tucker <brown_emu <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't know that there is a single function, but you can perhaps apply a
sequence of available functions -

> For instance, you can use fitdistr() in library(MASS) to estimate optimal
parameters for a candidate set
> of distributions; then look at each fit and also compare the deviance among
the fits (possibly penalizing
> distributions which require more parameters - for instance, using the Akaike
Information
> Criterion(?)).

See

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-June/166259.html

  for example, normal vs gamma might be a sensible question
(for which you can use fitdistr() as suggested above), but
"multinomial" implies a very specific kind of response --
discrete data with a specified number of possible outcomes.

  Ben Bolker