[R] help about random generation of a Normal distribution of

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jul 6 12:57:33 CEST 2008

Bill, while your point is a fair one, as far as it goes,
I (and no doubt others) often run R on low-powered hardware,
and therefore like to restrict overload. MASS is quite a big
package.

I've no dispute with your statement that MASS is both recommended
and universally available. And it is valuable and good.I was simply
pointing out that, if all you want from MASS is mvrnorm, then you
don't need to load MASS, once you have extracted mvrnorm's definition
from MASS.

BUT [OVERSIGHT IN MY FIRST POST]: As well as the code for mvrnorm,
you must also define the ginv() function (needed by mvrnorm):

ginv <- function (X, tol = sqrt(.Machine$double.eps))
{
  if(length(dim(X)) > 2 || !(is.numeric(X) || is.complex(X)))
    stop("'X' must be a numeric or complex matrix")
  if (!is.matrix(X)) X <- as.matrix(X)
  Xsvd <- svd(X)
  if (is.complex(X)) Xsvd$u <- Conj(Xsvd$u)
  Positive <- Xsvd$d > max(tol * Xsvd$d[1], 0)
  if (all(Positive)) Xsvd$v %*% (1/Xsvd$d * t(Xsvd$u))
    else if (!any(Positive)) array(0, dim(X)[2:1])
      else Xsvd$v[, Positive, drop = FALSE] %*% ((1/Xsvd$d[Positive]) *
        t(Xsvd$u[, Positive, drop = FALSE]))
}

For what it's worth, I use mvrnorm so often (also ginv) that the code
for mvrnorm (as below) and for ginv (as above) is part of my .Rprofile,
so they are always available without having to load anything else.

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 06-Jul-08                                       Time: 11:57:29