[R] Different Autocorrelation using R and other softwares

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 6 10:33:05 CEST 2008

It is not 'obvious' that SPSS/Minitab/Excel are right -- we quite often
see users who wrongly assume that the autocorrelation is the Pearson
correlation between a series and its lagged values.  The correct
definition is given in the reference on the help page for acf.

Please note the footer to this message: you were asked for a reproducible
example (and not to send HTML mail).  In the absence of such an example
we cannot investigate if this is user error (which seems the most
plausible explanation.)