[R] kriging problem(?)

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Jul 4 12:10:33 CEST 2008

Hi Robert,

A package I use for spatial statistics is gstat. It supports a method
called co-kriging that seems to fit your needs. To get a good overview
of the spatial capabilities of R a good place to start is the Spatial
Task View (http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html). If you
have more geo type questions the r-sig-geo list is a better forum
(https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/R-SIG-Geo/).

cheers
Paul

robert.ptacnik at niva.no wrote:
> Hei,
> I have two spatial datasets Sa and Sb, both with lat-lon coordinates and
> from same geographic area, but from different localities within the area
> (independent samples). Sa is biotoc data, Sb is some environmental
> parameter (fertility). I 'know' that Sb affects Sa, but wonder on which
> scale. I tried different interpolations by creating different grids of Sb
> (e.g. 20x20 and 100x100 points using 'interp' ...) and found that a more
> coarse grid did a better job in predicting Sa than a high resolution grid.
> However, I wonder if there aren't more elegant ways, e.g. using kriging.
> Just to avoid misunderstandings: I do not just want to get a spatial grid
> of Sa and Sb, but I want to find on which Scale Sb affects Sa.
> cheers,
> Robert,
>

>  Robert Ptacnik
>  Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA)
>  Gaustadalléen 21
>  NO-0349 Oslo
>  FON +47 982 277 81
>  FAX +47 221 852 00