[R] problem with NA and if

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Fri Jul 4 09:00:30 CEST 2008

This is an old one.  NA is not a real value, but a marker of something missing.  Hence the expression

a == NA

is really an incomplete expression (the right hand side of the equality is missing) and hence cannot be evaluated.  Hence the error message.  This is why the function is.na() exists, essentially.

There are a number of elegant solutions.  Take an exampel

> x <- 1:5
> is.na(x[3]) <- TRUE  ## the preferred way to set NA s
[1]  1  2 NA  4  5
> sum(x, na.rm = TRUE)
[1] 12

alternatively:

> x[is.na(x)] <- 0
[1] 1 2 0 4 5
> sum(x)              ## probably what you were headed
[1] 12

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/